Monday, July 09, 2007

In the World?



Among the most common quoted references which is thought to be in the Bible is this quote which tells us we should be "in the world but not of it." It is extrapolated from John 17:14-15, but as quoted is not in the Biblical text. A quick Google search of the phrase highlights some interesting groups which utilize this quote as wisdom from their own religious tradition: Christianity, Sufism, evolutionary spirituality, the Yoga Sutras of Patanjal, and even a Channeling Course.

So, how does this concept apply to us? How does it relate to our engagement with the cultures of this world? and how do we understand it in respect to being missional?

3 comments:

Agent B said...

That's not in the bible as quoted? Great.

Next you'll be saying "god helps those who help themselves" isn't in the bible either.

Pastor Phil said...

Actually I think it says "God helps those who don't do a thing" somewhere, well at least I like the quote a little better. Gets me off of duties you know.

Anonymous said...

As a young Christian zealot, I thought I could not remove myself from this world, but I determined all things that I enjoyed would be found inside the body of Christ.
I would only listen to Christian music, only hang our with Christian friends, only do Christian activities. Interestingly, I was not in the world at all except that my body was still on planet earth.

Now, I have much more involvement with people who are not Christians and have very little desire for "Christian" things...I even like quiet over praise music.

Am I in but not of? Does it matter since it is not even a scripture? Holy fooley! Could it be that evangelical manipulation foisted yet another false concept on my soul?