Friday, November 05, 2010

You Will Be Exposed! Threats from Fundy-ville

This is my first personal story from the Halloween season.  It is fresh in my mind and so weird that I thought I would share it first.

It was Halloween Night.  I was changing the stage set up, because my friend from Wales, Sarah Louise Owen was playing next, and I was backing her up on the guitar.  I turned and looked out over the street in front of the stage, and there had suddenly appeared a street preacher with a sign which said "Jesus Saves."  The street preacher was standing directly in front of the stage, and his sign was tall enough to block the faces of musicians while they performed if he remained there.  So I asked Jeff Cox to ask him to move on somewhere else.

Street Preachers with big signs apparently don't like to be asked kindly to move on from obnoxious locations they have procured.  He took umbrage with the request and began to argue with Jeff, and then myself.

Then he shouted up to me and asked, "Do you have non-Christians playing on this stage?"

I responded by saying, "Yes, do you have a problem with that?"

He replied in some form that there is no fellowship with darkness and light, and then went on to say that I was not a real Christian.  Well, I was setting up the stage, and didn't have time for this nonsense, so I said, "Well if you feel that I am doing wickedly, you should leave and not fellowship with this darkness."

So, our friendly street preacher commented, "You will be exposed."

I responded, "                ."

Heck, what was I supposed to say?  I was going to be exposed for having non-Christian musicians on the stage we provide for the city of Salem, and it's visitors?  So.  What's the big deal.

Then seeing that I was not particularly moved he said, "and John Paul Jackson will be exposed too."

I responded, "Hmmmmmm, I don't think he is going to care too much."

At some point the Street Preacher finally stomped off.  Later while I was backing up Sarah Louise Owen on her set he returned.  This time he had no sign, but he did have a video camera, and he took video of me playing rhythm to "Zombie" by the Cranberries.  I was dressed as a tree, or more specifically The Green Man, who is a character from the carvings on Gothic Cathedrals, but of course the missional potential of that would have been lost on him anyway.  Jeff got a picture of the videoing Street Preacher, and there he is getting ready to expose me I suppose.

Later that same evening as the stage wound down, another preacher looking guy came by, and was videoing a girl who fell down near stage.  My buddy Allan who helps run the sound, plays bass, and is a former pastor and YWAM leader put on Thriller and people were dancing.  The guy began to video the girl up close as she was on the ground, and as people began to help her up, and make sure she was okay he only pressed in for a better shot.  I certainly hope he wasn't one of those street preachers, because if he videoed the event of her falling to show something he thought was wrong, and did not help the girl (as our team of workers were doing)he is a Pharisee in the ultimate expression.

Later that same night he spoke to the leaders from the Streams Ministries internship, and said that he would expose me to John Paul Jackson.  Hmmmmmm...so let's get this right:  He will expose me, he will expose me John Paul, and then he will expose John Paul?  Does something seem wrong with this picture?  Could I have a little deception with that exposi[tion] perhaps?  Oh well, what's one to expect.

The next day, I heard from a pastor friend who was that the Street Preacher appeared at his church at 8am (his church is an hour and a half away) and was taking notes.  If you know this guy, write him and say hi. :-)

That's my first story from the fringes of Halloween in Salem.  This one is weird.  Others will be weird as well, and some will be graciously wonderful.  Halloween in Salem is a weird and wonderful place.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jesus was crying that his words and actions were misinterpreted and the return of Pharisees and Sadducees are at hand. Only when he returns will our actions, fellowship be applauded.

Pastor Phil said...

Hi Anon,

That is my hope too.

Jim said...

Who is John Paul Jackson? The sixth member of the Jackson Five or something?

Pastor Phil said...

Hey Jim,

The head of Streams Ministries International. He re-ordained me after 4sq gave us the boot.

Phil

cern said...

Rather over-zealous Christian type people video recording people in a potentially Pagan setting. Yep, been there and faced that. It can be a bit intimidating if you let it. On the other hand, it can be fun 'out quoting' them on a scripture rant. :D

BB

Mike

Pastor Phil said...

He looks pretty serious in that photo doesn't he. Seems he could use something real to do with his life.

No line on the Horizon said...

WOW - I luv you Phil - you rock ... I love the Zombies and I love JESUS too - ya either laugh or cry at this stuff - I chose to laugh and SPIRIT is laughing too

No line on the Horizon said...

He needs a little help on the "social" side of things ... maybe a stiff drink - or two - may loosen him up a bit - then maybe reason may take hold - sometimes talking to RELIGION sure seems like talking to the walking dead - ZOMBIES

Pastor Phil said...

I am assuming that this Horizon is Scott. This stuff is a laugh. Exposure is something most artists want - so,"go for it" I say.

Jarred said...

Sounds like a crazy experience to me!

Pastor Phil said...

Crazy is another name for life around here.

Adam Gonnerman said...

I would by no means have the patience, but you have your role, I have mine.

By the way, the link to my blog in your blogroll should be http://igneousquill.org , if you want to keep linking. :-)

Matt Stone said...

Hopefully he'll discover the fruits of the Spirit one day.